The Inter American University of Puerto Rico grants financial assistance, within limits set by the funding sources, to students who meet the requirements established to obtain such assistance. The eligibility of applicants for financial aid is reviewed annually.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, free of cost, can be completed online at www.fasfastudentaid.gov.
Military personnel, veterans, and other duly qualified persons may use veterans’ benefits that current laws allow. Information about these programs can be obtained through the Department of Veterans Affairs website or at the Registrar’s Offices at the campuses.
Funds for economic assistance come from various sources: the United States Government (Federal Funds), the Government of the Commonwealth (State Funds), the Inter-American University of Puerto Rico (Institutional Funds), and private entities. Students who complete the academic requirements for a first bachelor’s degree are not eligible for Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG Grants, and some state programs, even if they have not applied for graduation.
Scholarships and Requirements
Maximum Time Requirements for Receiving Federal Financial Assistance
The length of study during which a student is eligible for federal financial aid depends on the duration of their program of study as defined by the University. For such purposes, the University has determined the length of its study programs according to the number of credits required to complete them. The student must complete their program of studies within at most 150% of the duration established by the program. The student also accumulates study time for transferred credits.
Federal Pell Grant (Federal Pell Grant)
The United States Government instituted this program as the foundation of financial aid programs for students. The student applies online at https://studentaid.gov/.
FAFSA Application Forms:
- The incoming student completes the application online. Then, you can use the tutorial or visit the Financial Aid office on campus, where technical support will be provided.
The minimum academic requirement to receive federal funds.
At the end of the second year of study, the student must maintain the minimum index of 1.50 to receive federal financial aid.
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
The Inter American University of Puerto Rico distributes this aid to students who still need to complete high school. Students with exceptional needs are served first in this program. Pell Grant participants have priority.
Federal Student Loans
Type of federal student loans
- Direct Loan Program Interest Subsidized Loans: for eligible undergraduate students: Generally, no interest is charged on interest-subsidized loans while the student is in school at least half-time, during the grace period, and during periods of deferment.
- Direct Unsubsidized Direct Loan Program Unsubsidized Loans: For eligible undergraduate students, graduate students, and students in professional degree programs for eligible undergraduate students, graduate students, and students in a professional graduate program. Interest is charged on unsubsidized loans during all periods.
- Direct PLUS Loans: For parents of eligible dependent students. Graduate students and students who possess a master’s degree may receive PLUS loans from the Direct Loan Program. Interest will be charged during all periods.
- Direct Consolidation Loans: For borrowing parents and eligible students. Consolidation loans combine the borrower’s qualified loans into a single loan. For more information about how interest rates are calculated on Direct Consolidation Loans, visit studentaid.gov/consolidation.
Federal Work Study Program (FWS)
Federal Government funds for this program are augmented by a contribution from Inter American University except when the Institution is exempted from this requirement. Participants are assigned a job for which they will receive a salary to defray part of the cost of their education. To the extent possible, the student will be given a job related to their field of study.
Every year, Inter American University allocates funds for fellowships according to the needs of the students. Also, the Institution provides a work-study program.